Pharmaceutical Disposal & Destruction Service
FREE to Our Patients and Customers
An estimated 250 million pounds of unused medications are improperly disposed of each year. What are the adverse effects of improper disposal?
- Environmental Impact
- A 2008 Associated Press Investigation discovered a wide array of pharmaceuticals detected in the drinking water supplies of 24 major metropolitan areas affecting, at least 41 million Americans.
- Pharmaceuticals in the water are disrupting aquatic ecosystems and organisms.
- Accidental Ingestion (children, elderly, pets)
- Prescription Medication Abuse
- The Partnership for A Drug-Free America reports that every day there are 2,500 teenagers using a prescription medication to get high for the first time.
- With the exception of marijuana, teens are abusing prescription medications more than any illicit drug.
How do I use this service?
Simply bring your unused pharmaceuticals or nutritional products that are NOT CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES to the pharmacist and they will be reviewed and disposed of. We do the rest!
What items can be accepted into the TakeAway return system for disposal?
Any pharmaceutical product, prescription or OTC, can be accepted for disposal, EXCLUDING CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES.
Medications in any dosage form and any type of packaging are allowed, provided the medications are not controlled substances.
What containers are acceptable and how do I label them?
All Liquids, Creams and gels must be in 3 oz containers.
Larger containers must be divided by the patient into multiple 3oz containers.
All Products must be labeled for a Mark Drugs Employee to verify the contents before we can accept the product.